Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Hands free phone / radio / cd help required

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 21st March 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Is it the hands-free wiring that's iffy? I wouldn't bother replacing the stereo just on those grounds. You're going to be hard pushed finding an after-fit unit that's compatible with the changer, so I'd stick with the original one if there's nothing wrong with the head unit itself.

From memory, the Renault kit comes with a cable that adapts the multi-plug for the pre-wired mic and speakers to normal 3.5mm jack plugs, which in turn plug into the controller unit. If I'm right, then you should be able to re-use this part of the wiring unless that's the bit that's damaged.

Personally, I'd go for one of the Parrot kits. Forget the speaker for your old system - the parrots mute the stereo output and use the car's main speakers, which results in much better quality. I think the mic lead from the aforementioned Renault kit wiring should plug straight into the Parrot controller box, giving you the best of both worlds. All other connections for the Parrot are achieved simply by plugging it inbetween the current ISO blocks and the stereo (you'll just need the stereo removal tools and the radio security code for when you reconnect the power.)

There are a number of Parrot kits, varying in price, functionality and footprint. I like the CK3000 Evolution, as it's the cheapest and least obtrusive on the dash - if you want caller display or keypad dialling, just put your phone in a holder on the dash.

If you prefer to have caller display and phonebook browsing while the phone's in your pocket, then the CK3100 might be a better option.

As I've said before when the subject has come up, Bluetooth will probably hammer the battery on your mobile. It's worth investing in a cigar lighter charger for your phone, even if that does seem to defeat the object of having a wireless hands-free system.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome