Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - the dreaded handbrake

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 6th April 2014
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 27 Times in 25 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Thanked 1,794 Times in 1,373 Posts
Re: the dreaded handbrake

If you can operate the handbrake manually from the dash handle, the motor is working.
What seems to be the issue is that the unit has lost or forgotten it's limits.
Quite possibly cos of the new cables, discs, pads.

I had very similar issues before Christmas.

Find a local garage with a Renault Can Clip diagnostic system and ask them to reset the unit.
My local guy couldn't access mine with his renault system but did manage a fault reset with another diagnostic system.
This at least allowed me to take the thing for a drive, manually using the handbrake at every opportunity and gave it a chance to "re-learn"
Working sweet as a cherry now.

Basically, th reset tells the unit that parameters have changed and cycles it through to establish new limits...similar to setting up a new unit.

REnault main dealers can do the same thing but their default, at least the two near me, seems to be to replace the motor..which is crazy unless the thing is actually defective.

The grinding sound BTW is an internal torque limiter, similar to on electric drill/drivers.... but it does sound as though summat awful is happening so scares the pants off of people
Currently in Dancingdad's garage:
Qashqai 1.6 spark driven, Kia Sedona 2.9 TDI, Scenic II 15DCi 2004 (SORN) not quite RIP.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dancingdad For This Useful Post:
ru88erduck2010 (6th April 2014)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome