View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 21st March 2007 Thread Starter
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 2 Times in 20 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,103 Times in 942 Posts
Bonnet Catches

As many of you know,there are concerns over Clio bonnet safety catches seizing,which if the bonnet isn't closed properly on the main catch,can cause the bonnet to fly open when driving.

I'd just like to point out that this isn't just a problem with Clios!.I opened the bonnet on my Lag 1 phase 2 at the weekend and realised that the safety catch had seized on it!.The design of the Laguna 1 which has the bonnet forming the top edge of the front wings means it is difficult to see wether the bonnet is closed properly,so it is important that the safety catch works correctly.The Laguna 1 main catches can be a bit temperamental at the best of times,and the bonnet can easily be left on the safety catch by mistake......

The catch on mine(above) was seized in the open position!

This is what should happen(after spraying with a lubricant).When you pull the catch up(yellow arrow),the catch should spring back(blue arrow).

I would make sure that your catch does the same,no matter what Renault model you own.(Apart from early Clios that open the other way,of course!).Also,periodically lubricate the catch and make sure it's still free.

If this post saves one person from having their bonnet fly open,then it was worth writing it!

I'd rather push my Alfa than drive a BMW....
Currently in Lagdti's garage:
2004 Saab 9-5 HOT Aero and a 2001 Audi A3 1.8 Turbo

Last edited by Lagdti; 21st March 2007 at 07:27 PM.
  5 Lastest Threads by Lagdti
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
2014 Isle Of Man TT Bikes Gonescenile 2 2139 2nd June 2014 09:52 PM
40,000th Post......:eek: General Chat excavator 57 5411 3rd May 2013 02:28 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome