Independent Renault Forums banner

Speedometer in kilometres

5K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  Asterix 
#1 ·
Would anyone know where I can get a speedometer for a Laguna II that reads primarily in kilometres ph and not mph?:)

#4 ·
:rofl: Most people complain when theirs default to km.

Unfortunately there is no way of altering yours to read km from miles. Unless.......

Most peoples problems arise when they reconnect the battery without first leaving an interior light or sidelights switched on. The initial surge usually blows the trip/computer and it reverts to km! The default - it is programmed in the Uk to miles per hour.
We assume that there is some sort of memory chip or similar that blows on the printed circuit board, because they cannot be reprogrammed back to miles even by a Renault dealer.

You may be able to source one from the net from a European car parts place, or try disconnecting your battery!

I accept no responsibility whatsoever if you take my advice and a) it still displays miles or b) it does other damage to your vehicles electrics. I give advice in good faith and it is up to the individuals to decide whether they want to take it or not. I am not a mechanic or auto electrician.

#5 ·
Do we all have to write a disclaimer now if we give advice in good faith. People will stop trying to help if that is the case!

#9 ·
Have you tried any of the customisation places. Boy racers can buy blue/red/white/silver dials etc for their Saxos,Clios,Corsa etc - you may be able to get some for the Lag.
Although the speedo is marked in km and mph the km/h display isn't that clear in sunlight as it is red and a lot smaller than the mph figures - I can understand why you want to chang it.

#17 ·
Thanks mate. I drive a Laguna II estate ( 2002). I don't think there would be that many around these islands. The speedos by default are in mph in the UK and we here in the south have only been kph for a short while. The local dealer here wanted 86 euro + VAT for one. Bloody extortion!!!:mad: :mad:

#18 ·
If my calculations are right the guys lookin around £64 sterling - does'nt sound too bad. There are a couple of guys in Northern Ireland who import cars and then change the speedos to suit the UK - maybe they have some of the kilometer ones lying around - I'll make a few enquires.:)

#20 ·
Thanks for all your help m8. I don't have a digital speedo, its the old style circular "clockface". I'm only looking for a replacement "face" not the actual electronic stuff. That's why I am so mad about the price from the dealer, it's only a thin round piece of plastic:eek:

#21 ·
Have you tried making one using your pc, just copy the locations of the KPH and make them easier to read than the original face

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.