Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - espace heater matrix

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 23rd March 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
I've done one. Yes hell of a job. Also, if you have a Haynes maunal they don't get it right.

Drain Cooling System or somehow clamp pipes going to matrix from engine bay.
Steering shroud off.
Steering Wheel off
Instument panel off
Dash side panels off
Speakers out
Whole top of dash comes off in one piece, screws under speakers and under side panels. Push hard on heater controls to free them from lugs, no need to pull buttons off.
Lower part of dash comes out in one piece. Pain to get bolts off. held on by 4 bolts, 2 at either end. There are also 2 screws either side of centre bit in footwells in the fins of heater output.
Radio out and disconnect all wires to switches etc.
Centre console out. 2 screws one at rear near floor, one under a piece of removable trim under handbrake.
You'll also have to free fusebox from glovebox.
Once you get facia out you'll see heter matrix in heater unit on the right.
Undo pipes from back by loosening nut which holds pipe retaining plate and push the pipes out towards bulkhead.
Matrix is held in with a few screws round edge.
You'll need to remove pedals so matrix will slide out.
The matrix will be in very tight and the plastic on the heater unit is very brittle. Prise matrix out very slowly and carefully. Catch as much water as you can in a towel.
Buy a new Matrix as they're prone to going. Renew o-rings, re-fill system and test with engine running before putting dash back together.
I've missed out a few obvious wires and that have to be disconnected but it's pretty obvious and will vary between models.
I didn't remove pedals so can't say exactly how to do that. I removed whole heater unit as I did a couple of other jpbs at the same time.

Good Luck
Currently in happysaks's garage:
Esapce 1996 2.1TD
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome