Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Replacing Renault trafic brakes 05

View Single Post
post #32 of (permalink) Old 11th April 2014
Nominated 8 Times in 8 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Thanked 1,353 Times in 964 Posts
Re: Replacing Renault trafic brakes o5

Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
Am trying to change the rear brake pads on my Kangoo Trekka. A simple job I thought ... but all my previous cars had drum rear brakes.
The piston on the left side caliper is so far out that I can't refit the caliper over the new brake pads. No amount of G cramp and levers will push the piston back in ... and now I find this thread.
Let me see if I have got it straight. The rear caliper pistons are threaded, so that operation of the handbrake lever on the back of the caliper winds those pistons in to clamp the brake pad. Releasing the handbrake allows the pistons to unwind in some way?(Perhaps there is a ratchet device in there?) But to fit the caliper over new pads the piston has to be "wound back" into the caliper. Since the calipers are handed does that mean the left side piston has to wind in anti clockwise, and the right side caliper winds in clockwise.? Grateful thanks for help
In the good book for Trafics it states to use a retraction tool that winds the piston CLOCKWISE.
I know the calipers are handed but i can't believe a OS (RH) would have a clockwise thread &
a NS (LH) would have a anti-clockwise thread
I got my kit from these chaps

I have yet to do the rears but let us know how you get on.
Regards & good luck
Currently in chuffer690's garage:
Renault Trafic 2009 Crewcab Quickshift 6 2.0 SL29+ M9R DCI115 - Vauxhall Meriva 2005 1.6 Semi-Auto - Nailgun, Chainsaw, Ban Hammer (cheap copy)

Last edited by chuffer690; 28th August 2016 at 08:17 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chuffer690 For This Useful Post:
frosty1 (21st April 2014), Trekker (11th April 2014)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome