Generally people have a right good moan in these forums about their woes and rightly so, this is an excellent knowledge base that can be used for the benifit of others. But please remember there are thousands of lags out there that have no issues and I for one think they are a great car for the money. They are dead easy to work on and have been mass produced on a production line and are not complex. Remember they are French (remember the 2CV and the DS19's? by Citroen) and therefore can be a bit quirky. I am not a Renault rep, far from it but I do like to look after my cars and I'm not afraid to have a go after all someone built them!
Just thought I'd give you an overview of my experiences and fixes for my Laguna 11 1.9dci 6 speed sports tourer. I bought my 02 three years ago for very little money with 50K on the clock now on 93000. I was after a Audi A6 Avant but for the money the Laguna was the best bet. Anyway below is a list of faults and fixes that I have sorted.
1. Elect windows not working or only go up and down a small amount - invairably the sunroof combined with the alarm system and gets confused. With ing on turn the sunroof knob fully clockwise and press and hold for 10 secs then turn anticlockwise press and hold for approx 10 secs and the sunroof will do some wacky adjustments then stop. Lock the car/unlock and all should be fine.
2. Front lower ball joints last about 25K, cheap and easy to replace, parts from GSF and you will need a good 24m ring spanner. If its the first time the joints will be riveted to the wishbone and will need to be ground off. Reckon on an hour a side.
3. Clonking from the back is the rear axle bushes, not hard to replace, did mine on the drive with car on good axle stands but needed a mate to help lift the axle back up. All done in about 4 hours including bleeding the brakes. Use a hacksaw from the inside of the joint to collapse the metal outer ring and smack out. Fitting, use some grease and work round the bush using a v large drift and hammer. Parts from GSF. £32.00 each.
4. Tyre sensors telling lies, disconnect the battery, remember radio code and leave disconnected for 10 mins, check and adjust pressures, reconnect battery and drive, it sorts its life out after a mile or so.
5. Key fob not locking car, replaced the fob battery? Still duff? from the rear seat and rear door open, lock the car using the console button get out and shut the door and the car will be locked. Use the small key to get back in and press the unlock on the console. Then buy another card from renault and get it programed, not that dear compared with VW/Audi fobs. Do not buy fobs of
, renault will not program them.
6. Sunroof not working, see latter half of para 1.
7. Use fully synthetic
and renault filter every 9K and your
will be happy, if it all goes pete tong and engine runs away burning its own sump
, dont panic! then select 4th gear pronto and and brake and stall the engine, saves engine. Dont panic! Replace
and thoroughly clean intercooler, pipe lines and
valve. Remove and clean
valve as part of service and clean out inlet manifold, all easy stuff. Add Forte diesel injection cleaner every 6 months, works great.
8. Seat covers on front cushions come loose, disconnect battery to disarm airbag system, remove seat, 4 bolts and re-thread cord at bottom and tighten, its a right ar*e to do but do it right with good para cord and your seats will be firm and supportive again. Refit seat etc etc.
9. Every intercooler should now have been replaced with the strapped type, I can't believe that there are still pre mod intercoolers out there, but if your car just stops and has zero power, your intercooler has split, about £150 ish for the part and fitting a couple of hours.
10. Use an independent trusted garage, I used one to change the cambelt at 72K coz I did not have the set up tools for the deisel, total cost inc renault parts £136.00 check that against renaults price!
11. If you have any dash lights that tell you stuff, get your independent garage to pull the codes on his trusted laptop and ask him to reset, normally works as elect gremlins do happen.
12. Crunchy 3rd gear when cold?, well just live with it, I very rarely use it when underway.
13. Drive the car hardish, gives the
something to think about and keeps the
14. Switch the girly off, drives me nuts!
15. Rear screen breaks, normally caused by the wiper spindle starting to seize and the torque on the spindle pre stresses the screen and then bang. Just fix the spindle or pay your £50 excess.
16. Shop around for tyes, a local independent tyre company that I have used for years charges me £50 a corner, not bad me thinks.
Must have done lots more and saved myself a fortune on bills plus the satisfaction of doing the job myself. Hope this helps someone - time for a beer