Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Electronic handbrake stuck on during MOT and won't release

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12th April 2014 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Electronic handbrake stuck on during MOT and won't release

Had a call from the garage yesterday to advise me the MOT was abandoned as they couldnt release the handbrake. Car is 55 plate grand scenic.

I'm told it happened during the front brake efficiency test. The front wheels were on the rollers, the handbrake engaged, during the test it made a weird sound and now we can't release it. The garage tried with their snap-on diagnostics but couldn't release it. RAC came out but their computer couldn't release it. The mechanical release doesn't work. Error on dash advises of parking brake fault.

RAC thinks it's an electronic fault, but the fact the mechanical release doesn't work makes me think it's a mechanic fault.

RAC spent an hour on it, they checked fuses, disconnected battery, checked underneath (although he said it's a sealed box).

It's being recovered to my home this morning as I don't want to pay Renault 500+ at this stage, I'd rather take a look first.

Any hints in what I can check? I read about a fuse under the passenger seat, not sure if true for grand scenic. My plan is to basically start stripping everything.

Currently in kpm197's garage:
Clio 172 Cup
  5 Lastest Threads by kpm197
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Electronic handbrake stuck on during MOT and... Brakes/Hubs harris921 7 2109 12th April 2014 06:36 AM
Genuine part fitted by Independant - Warranty... Engines VelSatisfied 6 1542 22nd August 2011 09:23 AM
Steering pulling to the right, but sometimes goes... Steering and Suspension andydci 5 2766 13th February 2011 07:40 PM
No brake fluid going to rear offside caliper Wheels & tyres Recycled Scenic 9 3416 7th February 2011 07:58 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome