Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Puting the cost of motoring into perspective - how the other half lives...

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 25th March 2007 Thread Starter
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,852 Posts
Puting the cost of motoring into perspective - how the other half lives...

Hi there, I was fixing 4 chips in a car's windscreen today - the car was a Hummer H2 - a car so large (photos don't do it justice), that I was using a stepladder to reach the chips on the screen.

I was speaking to the owner (who was as interested in my repair technique, as I was in his car - which he'd owned since new).

Mull these facts/figures around;
  • the car gets 5mpg (unless he puts the foot down) whereby it drops to 1-2mpg...
  • it has a 320 litre fuel tank which takes approximately one hour to refuel (as he has to pay in intervals)
  • each tyre (specific to this model) costs 500 per corner
  • each wheel & tyre weighs 75kg
  • car weighs 4tons
He also owns an H1 (the military one).

It must be great to have the money to cope with these kind of running costs!

I know many will (justifiably) say that these cars are dinosaurs, devouring the planet's resources - but I have to say, working on this one (with bright yellow paint & shiny chrome) that I felt like an enthusiastic wee boy, playing with a Tonka toy!

Just thought a few petrolheads out there would like to share my experience.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
  5 Lastest Threads by VelSatisfied
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Grasping the nettle (at last) Bodywork VelSatisfied 12 425 15th July 2016 12:11 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome