Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Hozelock Rotating Car wash Brush

View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 17th April 2014
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,200 Times in 4,712 Posts
Re: Hozelock Rotating Car wash Brush

It will depend on the type of bristles in a brush whether it static or rotary - plus the speed of rotaing and pressure applied also has an effect. A slow rotating brush lightly applied will obvously reduce the risks of scores. Even using a sponge has it's risks if it is not rinsed regularly as the particles of dirt tend to get into it's porous surface. In fact a slow rotating brush with a constant water supply to flush away the perticles of dirt will probably do less damage.

I use a natural bristle car wash brush - the body of the brush is rubber. I inherited it from my father and I reckon it is about 40 years old - still does a perfect job. He got it from a mate in the Fire Service where they used such brushes for washing down their bright red vehicles. I hate to think what such an item would cost nowadays though.

Edit: one additonal thing to help reduce the risk of scratches is to use a grit guard - a plastic or metal grid which fits into the bottom of the wash bucket. It allows the heavier particles to settle to the bottom of the bucket but remain relatively undisturbed each time you dip in. I have seen thes used in the expensive marine yacht cleaning services.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
The Following User Says Thank You to madnoel10 For This Useful Post:
JJ2 (17th April 2014)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome