Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - How do you sort out the rusting?

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 27th March 2007
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
Here's your shopping list!

Hi there Abdul, okay - let me see;
Sandpaper (wet & dry) - very coarse (80 grit) for the initial rub down to bare metal. (I don't know if you are doing this by hand or using a power tool), but you would probably need 2 sheets/discs. Then some intermediate paper (circa 180/240 grit) for the initial sanding of the filler, again 2 sheets/discs. Then the same amount of fine grade (400 grit) for just prior to priming. The same amount of extra fine (800 - 1000 grit) for between coats & to feather in the edges where you are painting.

FORGOT TO ADD - a sanding block if you are doing this by hand.

So, 8 sheets or discs of wet & dry sandpaper, thus far.

KURUST - one bottle & a small brush for application.

Filler - I would probably go for a tub of Plastic Padding as its easier to mix for plugging small holes/surface imperfections - than a fibreglass-based filler.

Primer - grey primer - 2 aerosols (to be on the safe side.

Masking tape - one roll & newspaper for covering those areas you don't want to paint.

T-cut or any rubbing compound for blending in the painted area once it's properly dired & a good polish for sealing in the shine and giving a protective coating.

I would get an aerosol of your car's colour specifically made up rather than off-the-shelf, as I think that you get a bit more paint for your money (and it seems to give better coverage).

Halfords is okay - but I personally would recommend the place where you will get the paint made-up - it will stock all these items and probably be cheaper - plus, you will have the extra assurance that this will all be professional trade quality.

Hope that helps - best of luck!

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater

Last edited by VelSatisfied; 27th March 2007 at 04:59 PM. Reason: missed item
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome