Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Replacing The Manual Gearbox Oil

View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 27th March 2007
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 2 Times in 20 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,103 Times in 942 Posts
Ok,here we go!

To start with you'll need,

An 8mm square drain plug socket
A spanner to use with the socket
A drain tray that will hold 4 litres of oil
Disposable gloves(gearbox oil stinks,especially old stuff!!!)
A large piece of cardboard to lay on and to catch any drips
3.5 litres of 75w80 gear oil (ideally in 1 litre sqeezy bottles)
Pair of pliers

A picture of the drain plug socket and the drain plug with a new copper crushable washer(available from any good motor factors)

You may find it easier to jack the front of the car up to gain access to the drain plug,but please use axle stands!.The drain plug is located at the bottom of the gear box.You might need to unclip a plastic cover under the gearbox to get to the plug(marked green in the picture,the plug is circled in yellow).This picture is taken underneath the car from the front.The gearbox is to the right of the engine as you look from the front,don't drain the engine oil by mistake!.

Place the cardboard on the floor,the drain tray under the plug and remove the plug being carefull not to drop it into the drain tray!.The oil should then come out......

Whilst your waiting for it to drain,remove the old washer from the drain plug and replace with a new one.Wait as long as possible before refitting the drain plug to allow as much oil to drain out as possible.It is better to do this when the gearoil is warm(after a short journey),but be careful as the components under the car will be hot!!.After re-fitting the plug and tightening it,remove the drain tray and lower the car back onto it's wheels.Leave the cardboard under the car as this will catch the drips when you re-fill the box......

The filler for the gearbox is sometimes visable from above the car.On mine it is hidden under a wiring loom.....(filler location is marked with yellow arrow).This picture is taken from the front of the car looking down.

Here is the filler from underneath(cr4p picture,I know!).It is a plastic wing nut headed bolt which can be unscrewed using a pair of pliers.

Remove the filler and slowly sqeeze in the new oil .After a while,you should see oil constantly dripping out of the hole,this tells you that the gearbox is filled to the correct level..Make sure the car is as level as possible,otherwise you could end up over or under filling the 'box.Don't be alarmed if you don't use all of the oil .My information says it should take 3.4 litres to fill,but from experience it's usually closer to 2.5 litres.Once filled to the right level,replace the filler plug.Just nip it up by hand,don't over tighten as it could break.

Check for leaks from the drain plug,and thats about it.Dispose of the old oil in the correct place(some recycling centres have oil drums or try your local,friendly garage,they may dispose of it for a small charge).

Hopefully this all makes sense and I haven't missed anything.....

As when doing anything your unsure about,take your time and stay calm!.Your saving yourself some money by doing it yourself,but if you get it wrong it could end up costing you more!.If you are at all unsure about attempting this,let someone who knows what they're doing to do it for you,or at least be there to help and guide you through it.

Good luck!

I'd rather push my Alfa than drive a BMW....
Currently in Lagdti's garage:
2004 Saab 9-5 HOT Aero and a 2001 Audi A3 1.8 Turbo

Last edited by Lagdti; 27th March 2007 at 07:35 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome