Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Painted Alloy Wheel Repairs

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 28th March 2007 Thread Starter
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
Originally Posted by leroy View Post
Well done , excellent article. I have a couple of small gouges on one of my alloys, would you use body filler or something else for these ?
Regards Leroy
Hi Leroy, glad you liked it.

It rather depends on the severity and where they are located. If it is the case that most of the rim remains behind the gouge (if you know what I mean), then I'm always inclined to just smooth the ragged edge, and to sand away unitl I get the original shape back - if its done with a bit of time & care, it should be near impossible to notice.

If its gone completely, and if its on the rim edge, I'd be inclined to apply and build-up some chemical metal rather than filler - its near to a structural point, so it needs something a bit more substantial. Especially for tyre changes in the future.

If its in the spokes/face of the wheel - just sand out & smooth it in to the rest of the spoke/face.

Hope that helps,

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome