Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Engines - 2.0 Petrol engine missfire

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 8th December 2005 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Hi Webcode, thanks for the quick reply. To update problem from yesterday, last night I tried the car and after starting it, the light never came on. I then went on a journey of less than a mile during which the same light came on and was flashing quite rapidly. According to the manual, this light is to monitor the exhaust gases and when it behaves in this manner they advise to reduce speed & contact dealer. As far as an increase in exhaust smoke, I cannot say for sure as it is not something I have been in the habit of looking at I'm afraid, I am the kind of guy that climbs in starts up and drives off ! However, on arrival back home last night,my 8 year old daughter noticed a very strange pungent odour coming from the tailpipe that she described as smelling similar to a spent firework??

Am I correct in assuming that item 3 in your response (regarding the Lambda sensor), is the sensor that monitors the exhaust gases & is responsible for the warning light coming on? If so, can you identify the location and advise whether I can replace it myself?? I am loathe to take it into my local dealer and the next nearest one is 20 miles away & I am not happy at the prospect of driving my iffy car over there.
I assume the local dealer will want to put the car onto his diagnostic kit first (47 +VAT) then charge me ??? for the part required plus a rather large labour bill, what in your opinion is the possible cost involved if I took it into the dealer as opposed to doing it myself and the correct diagnostic procedure that should be followed ? Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this follow up lengthy post and for any guidance given, I appreciate it given the proximity of the festive season and the early xmas bonus I got on friday ( My Cards !) I need to keep the bulk of my cash in my pocket rather than in Arnold Clarkes !!
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome