Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 1996 Laguna Immobiliser New thinking required

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 29th March 2007 Thread Starter
paul j
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
1996 Laguna Immobiliser New thinking required

I have a 1996 Laguna and it wont start. Apparently all signs point to the immobiliser not working. Light flashing on dashboard and of course it wonít start.

I have read a lot of the posts on here about the immobilisers but havenít been able to find one that could work.

The immobiliser light is not flashing on the central locking switch so wont be able to enter any codes.

All fuses are fine.

No water leaking in through the aerial bit.

However did take out the immobiliser unit to find that it contained a lot of water, unless this is some high tech water cooling idea I donít think its normal. Obviously dried it out and put it back in but no joy.

I think that the actually immobiliser unit is broken. Blown chip or something.

So any ideas? Can you buy an immobiliser unit that matches your car and just plug it in, if so from where and how much?

Also does anyone actually know how the system works. I have a bit of electronics background and was thinking around the lines of it must send a code to the cars ecu that is checked and if ok car starts. Does anyone know what form this code takes? Is it like an 8 bit code which could be something like 01010101. and is it the same code every time the car starts? is it repeated on a loop while the car is working or just at startup?

With it being an old car would think it would be a short code (hopefully). If so could you do a brute force attack using the pc or some kind of signal generator, to find the magic code then just build a device that just enters that?

Could be a solution to the problem.

What do people think?
Currently in paul j's garage:
1996 Renault Laguna Sport
  5 Lastest Threads by paul j
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
1996 Laguna Immobiliser New thinking required Electronics mysticpantheon 3 1171 29th March 2007 08:25 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome