Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Wheels and Tyres - Tyre Pressure Sensors - Member experiences and solution

View Single Post
post #128 of (permalink) Old 1st April 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by flow View Post
Is it possible to fit standard valves?
Has anybody experienced this type of problem?
I am gradually replacing the metal transponder valves for standard valves as I get my tyres renewed. I had previously no problem with the tyre sensor system, until a slow puncture turned out to have the additonal problem of a leaking valve. It was corroded and rotten inside resulting in deflation of the tyre. This was replaced with a standard valve by my local tyre fitter. I currently have 2 standard valves fitted, after another valve had gone the same way. As a result I have a permanent orange tyre warning light on the dash, and the 2 wheels that have the standard valves have disappeared from the tyre display diagram in the centre display next to the clock. My sensor system must be one of the more basic, as it did not have the facility to tell you what the tyre pressures were, just that there was a problem with a particular tyre. I have decided to live with this rather than pay Renault 30 each time I need a new valve, and 60 which they were wanting each time the system has to be reset. I did enquire about switching the system off, but my local dealer says they don't think that can be done. (They obviously make more money selling 30 valves to everyone.)

This also means I can get new tyres fitted without me or the tyre fitter worrying about breaking a complex flimsy valve or damaging a sender unit. And I would rather have my orange warning light, than pay Renault money for upkeep on a warning system that is too costly and complex. Great idea when the car is new, not when it is nearly 5 years old!
Currently in saltire's garage:
2002 Renault Laguna II 1.8 Expression
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome