Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - I have a few questions

View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 2nd April 2007 Thread Starter
Circle 7
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by madnoel10 View Post
Hi Circle - yeh it takes an electrical charge to set off most air bag - and they recommend you store them in a container with no exposed metal parts. As airbags are made from a form of nylon and their housing is usually plastic the risk of static electricity increases dramatically - never mind the synthetic overalls and clothing worn by many mechanics. The Health and Safety Executive have a special set of guidance notes set down particularly for this reason. Even the fire services now have special instructions when dealing with cars in accidents. Inadvertent deployment of air bags have been known to kill.

It's another world now Noel. I was in the body repair trade for years and left it about 20 years ago. Whilst the nuts and bolts of things have changed very little, the cars themselves have in terms of everything has a sensor of some kind now. Just looking at the seat frame shows it to be far more complex than anything I am used to.

I thought I was out of that game, but having two 20 year olds with cars I find myself doing the spanners again. I have to say I enjoy it, but there is a lot to learn and understand now. I will have a chat with my friend about fitting the airbag. The only thing I dont know is wether the sensor is a one shot device or if it resets after impact. I am getting a new one to be on the safe side. The only thing I have to do now is find where the damn thing is on the car.

Thanks for your information.

Currently in Circle 7's garage:
2003 Clio Diesel
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome