Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #625 of (permalink) Old 3rd April 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
My Reply from Renault:

Dear ......
Thank you for contacting us regarding the Watchdog programme on BBC 1, and the Renault Clio bonnet. I fully understand your concerns. Please rest assured, the safety of our customers is of paramount importance to Renault UK.

Since Watchdog's original broadcast, we have carried out 42 inspections on cars with this reported problem and we have not found any manufacturing defect. We are very concerned to hear that Watchdog has received additional contact from customers. Therefore, we have set up a dedicated Task Force of experts to investigate this matter further.

Our Task Force have now released their findings, and concluded that any incident of the bonnet opening whilst driving, is not a result of a manufacturing or design defect. Our dealer network will continue to closely check the condition of bonnet locking mechanisms on all Renault vehicles during routine maintenance. Additionally, the security of the bonnet and catch mechanism are inspected during the annual MOT test for vehicles over three years of age.

We do not agree that it is possible for the car's bonnet to open if it is secured in the locked position and checked according to the guidelines in the vehicle's handbook. If these actions are followed and the bonnet is locked securely, the safety catch will hold at all speeds. I have attached a copy of the relevant page from the handbook for your information.

Our recommendation to any customers with queries, is to contact their nearest Renault dealer who will be more than happy to examine the car and answer any questions you may have. The inspection along with any necessary maintenance work to the bonnet mechanism, will be carried out free of charge.

You can find your local Renault dealer via our website Renault UK, where you can search for the dealer using the town or postcode search facility. The website also has all of the dealers contact information, including directions, which you may find useful. I have also provided some links below, that I feel may be of interest to you.

If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at Renault Customer Services on our free phone number 0800 072 3372.

Many Thanks

Russell Stallman
Renault Customer Services
Renault UK
Tel: 0800 072 3372

Renault - Safety - - The Official Site of the European New Car Assessment Programme - 25 point safety check
With the following file attached:
Currently in cyberdyne's garage:
2003 Renault Clio 'Expression' 1.2 16v
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome