Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio no longer starts & I hear a 'clicking' sound

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 4th April 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Originally Posted by playazclubz View Post
Also in another post..
Here is the latest...

The battery itself is dead - I managed to get the engine started when we jump-started the car - however it cuts out after a second - meaning the Immobiliser is definately preventing the car from starting.

I have spoken to my dealer who said I need to get the code for the immobiliser from Renault - I then spoke to Renault who say they don't actually give out the codes for the Immobiliser - he recommended I go to a non-approved Renault dealer.

I am being sent in roundabouts.. what is my next step?
If you were able to jump-start, it is not your immobiliser. Did it continue to run while the donor-battery was still connected? If yes, then it is your battery that needs changing rather than the immobiliser code. I think you said this was a recent purchase so it is possible that the car had been idle for a long time and the dealer then just recharged the battery hoping for the best. He should be able to check this and if necessary give you a new battery free of charge.

Any gargage should be able to test this and tell you if the alternator is still good (which if it isn't, your vendor should be liable to replace FOC also); it should be delivering upwards of 14 volts in order to recharge your battery normally and all they do is put a meter across the posts while the engine is running.

I hope that helps you to decide.

Confucius he say "Wise Inuit never eats yellow snow"
Currently in vass20's garage:
Citroen Relay 2.2 HDi + Citroen C4 1.6 HDi EGS
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome