Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Radiator hose

Thread: Radiator hose
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 4th April 2007
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
Hi there - as Donald suggests, it may be possible with a steady hand and a very sharp knife to be able to trim back the hose (removing the part with the split). The only problem with that is that the hose may then become too short to allow the engine the flexibility of movement - only you would be able to tell that for sure. Also, if the pipe is quite brittle, you may end up with another split in the same pipe.

Another (strictly temporary measure) is to apply very thick duct tape over the split (allow it to cover it by quite a margin) and also allow it to fold over into the inside of the pipe (remember, you are putting a jubilee clip on this, so it should hold everything in place), then slip it over the end of the radiator.

I obtained an obscure section of hose from rummaging in my local motor factors and comparing sizes (this was for a 27 year old Toyota, and sourced/modified a pipe for a FIAT Mirafiori) - so its worth a look.

Hope you get this all sorted out.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome