Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Should I dive in the Lagun(a) hehe

View Single Post
post #19 of (permalink) Old 5th April 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by bpowell555 View Post
Is a 2.2 any better than a 1.9 for this?
The 1.9 is the worst offender, but as Hondo has discoverd, the 2.2 is not without turbo problems. It all boils down to them using the wrong grade of oil and giving too long a service interval. As someone (SportTourer?) recently pointed out in another thread, Nissan have been using the same engines for years and have not had the same problems, but they do have a much shorter service interval.
Is there any way to "save" a turbo - is it wear and tear or sudden failure?
9K oil and filter changes, plus a quality full synthetic oil of the right grade should do the trick. If you want to be extra nice to it, then try not to rev it hard when cold, try to drive with a light foot for the last couple of minutes of the journey, and allow the engine to idle for at least 30 seconds before shutting down. Personally, I don't think any of the latter is necessary as long as you're using good quality oil , but mine's a repmobile and I don't pick up the tab if it goes foom. I might take a more paranoid attitude if I was going to have to pay for repairs.

If the turbo ever does fail, the engine will run unrestricted, burning its own lubricating oil and the revs will shoot through the roof. Provided you have a manual transmission, you should deliberately stall the engine at this point (the stop/start button won't work) and make no attempts to restart it. Quick thinking at this time can make the difference between needing a new turbo and intercooler, and needing a whole new engine.
Would a used warranty cover this sort of failure?.........
I suppose it depends on the warranty. Look into not just whether it covers the turbo , but whether it's likely to cover any consequential damage. A lot of warranties don't cover things like cracked/warped heads - if you do let the engine race and you end up stuffing the engine, you may find that it's not covered by a third party warranty.

One option might be to go for a model less than 3 years old and then take out the Renault Harmony warranty. It's not cheap (and is only available on cars still under the manufacturer's warranty) but it does supposedly provide an equivalent level of cover to the original 3 year warranty. By 2004-ish, they'd started using the correct grade of oil from the factory, though they didn't drop the service interval to 9 or 12K (depending on whether you have the particle filter) until 2005.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome