Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Faulty Coils Causing Warning Light(Including General Info)*fixed*

View Single Post
post #18 of (permalink) Old 5th April 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

1. Yes
2. IMO, no as its quite obvious that OE coils don't last, were never any good and can't believe Renault get away with the number of coil replacements people need on such a critical item. Its appalling the amount of failures people experience. They should be hanging their head in shame and giving them out free. It must be a huge cash generator for them. How much worse can anybody elses be? If buying a non OE part I always try to stick to brands I know i.e. lucas, Bosch etc...
3. There should be no need to change the plugs. Most garages just fit the coil and away you go. It you have the time, I don't think there is any harm in giving the plugs a look whilst your in there, but its not necessary.

My father in law does very little mileage and before his car had done 12000miles from new all the coils failed (out of warranty) one by one within a short time period of each other. He's recently had to replace a relacement which has only been in around 2 years and less than 8000 miles.

It would certainly put me off a petrol engine that uses these coils . My local garage (not a Renault dealer) actually keeps the coils in stock as they replace that many of them. It takes them only a few minutes to change a coil .
Currently in pmf's garage:
2004 Renault Grand Scenic 1.9DCi
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome