Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Cheapest Cats?

Thread: Cheapest Cats?
View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 6th April 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Originally Posted by Laybom View Post

Can any one help me? I have just had to take my Megane 1.6
to my local dealer for a new catalytic converter which is going to cost a lot of money. The car is only 4 years old and I have done less than 20,0000 miles. Surely this is most unusual to have to have a new cat so soon and with such a low mileage? Has any one else had this problem?

Firstly, as you are in the south east, have you used any of the contaminated fuel that Tesco and Morrison were selling? If so, the likelyhood is that your catalytic convertor has been damaged as a consequence of the silicon contamination which damages the MAP sensor and in turn the cat. You need to advise them that this has happened by going on their website or email . It would be handy to have a receipt for the fuel purchased on the effected dates which were around the last week of February and first week of March. Tesco are committed to repairing all damage sustained because of this contamination. I would imagine that Morrisons are also.

The next thing to consider is whether the car has been serviced correctly and whether it has indicated any fuel faults such as poor consumption figures which could mean that the car has been running rich all the time (or part of) without you realising it.

Another thing to consider is if it has ever been 'bottomed'. This can break the ceramics inside the cat and cause poor performance from it.

If none of these apply to your car, you should email Renault Customer Services and ask them what life expectancy a catalytic convertor should have. Try mailing explaing to him that the car has only done 20,000 miles and is only 4 years old. Of course you also need to ask them if they are prepared to replace it foryou if it turns out to have been defective, especially if the car has had its two-year servicing despite the low mileage.

Has the garage said what is actually wrong with the cat? Are you sure the problem won't clear itself if you give it a good (high revving) run on the motorway?

If you read the posts above yours and follow the links that have been given to others, you may well be able to make a considerable saving; but do try the other avenues first.

I wish you well.

Confucius he say "Wise Inuit never eats yellow snow"
Currently in vass20's garage:
Citroen Relay 2.2 HDi + Citroen C4 1.6 HDi EGS
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome