Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #632 of (permalink) Old 6th April 2007
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Exclamation VOSA - FoI Response to My Request and the Renault Report on my Car!

Dear all,

Right, I'm back in the UK for a week off...having reviewed the BBC Watchdog programme on 28th March (finally) and also reviewed the response to my FoI request, I too am letter writing again!

But first thing first, here's the zip file containing some useful information - obtained following my FoI request:
(~3MBs - sorry!).

My comments:
  • VOSA originally implied that they were not at liberty to share the Renault Engineer's report (completed on my car on 12th April 2006), unless they get Renault's persmission. I never received Renault's permission, so VOSA weren't able to disclose it's [reports] contents to me.
  • Mysteriously, after my FoI request, I received the report - could be an error, as the FoI department might not have realised that Renault had not authorised it's release - tough monkey now - I've got it
  • According to Renault, their Engineer***8217;s report was formally compiled on 13th April 2006, and Mr Jenkin***8217;s (VOSA VSB) confirmed he was in sight of this same report on 22nd May 2006. According to the information obtained under the FoI VOSA has quoted a report published on 20th June 2006. The timelines do not tally, and I am questioning the validity of the information referenced.
  • By referencing the report dated 20th June 2006, the information within this report indicates that corrosion was evident within the main and safety catch mechanism. Renault Baldock***8217;s own engineer noted, during an initial inspection on 27th March 2006 (the day of the incident), that the ***8220;safety catch had not been lubricated recently and was found to be stiff***8221;.
  • The report and Renault Baldock's statement both questions the performance of the safety catch mechanism.
  • The report has neither proved why the bonnet released itself without any intervention or confirming that the bonnet had not been not closed properly. Renault indicated that they were ***8220;unable to confirm the exact cause***8221; but were able to confirm it was due to ***8220;bonnet not being closed properly***8221;; maintenance has now also been raised as possible factor - although I am still not convinced it is the sole reason!
  • I am still adamant this all relates to the way the 2-catch mechanism has been designed to operate. Such a mechanism should be ***8220;designed***8221; to withstand common amounts of corrosion during daily use, and the safety engaged in ALL cases. Thus, a bonnet should be unable to release itself entirely. If one has to question the performance of the safety catch ***8220;as designed***8221;, then this means that an apparent safety issue (defect) exists. There should NEVER be a question raised on a safety catch mechanism, regardless of the circumstances.
  • A separate report published by VOSA from Mr Jenkins on 28th April 2006 (inspection at City Motors, Bristol), actually appears to have doctored, as I have two versions of the same report, as provided by two separate FoI requests. (Meesh the other FoI reference is your one!). This also makes me question whether any other information provided by VOSA has been subsequently doctored before being shared to the public ***8211; which is a very serious matter for which I am extremely concerned to see. I will look to raise this to the Information Commissioner, as this contravenes the various Laws and Acts which VOSA must adhere too.

Your views?

Aaron Brigatti
Brigatti Online -

Clio Bonnet-Catch Issues?
- Read the Correspondence Archive (Recently Updated!) @
- and the latest on my experiences @

Currently in brigatti's garage:
2009 Audi A4 1.4 TFSI

Last edited by brigatti; 6th April 2007 at 02:34 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome