Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #633 of (permalink) Old 6th April 2007
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
...oh...and thinking about all the statements that have been made thus also seems to relate to my case (ironically)...VOSA's whole case file on this issue, Renault's references and statements....specifically the "corrosion" comment...can they make this "corrosion" comment stand in all 1000+ cases. Can't be, hey?

When originally reporting the incident to Renault UK, the photo's attached to the report in my previous posting, were all that were sent to Renault UK (from Renault Baldock's). Renault UK originally took this as a clear indication that there was "no defect" and were happy to close the case based this.

I stated that I don't believe anyone can take the photographs as-is, and accept this as a way to prove it was not seen as a mechanical defect - esp. someone without any "mechanical" or "engineering" background (it was raised to the Customer Service Management team).

Only then did they agree to complete an inspection - some 10 days after the incident, whereby the bonnet had already been removed, and the components already taken apart (as it was in the midst of a repair). So, in theory, could already question the accuracy validity of the report!

Even though I requested to be present, they never told me which day the inspection would occur, so I wasn't there in person. (Even Renault commented that all inspections would be carried out with an Insurance Representative and the option provided to the Vehicle Owner to also attend).

On another point, I was only advised a Renault Engineer would come down - not a contigency of Legal Reps, Advisor's and Technical Engineer.

Oh, and the fact about corrison based on where I live...I live in a god-damn town in Mid-Sussex, I just commute to Brighton! Actually, I can actually respond to the corrision - which means it's not just "where I live or commute too".

About a year previous to the incident, I actually travelled to London Heathrow to pick someone up, I think it was very early in the morning, as it was cold and potentially icy roads. Two gritters were in a line in the middle 2 lanes of the 4 lane motoway, and when I went pass them huge amounts of grit went into the engine compartment (through the vents), since that they, the enginer compartment was covered in salt / sand - although I did try to remove as much as I can....this could therefore mean a large number of components there were "stiffened" up....

Now, I am not accepting this as the actual cause, because I had a major service at Renault Baldock's dealership - in October 2005, and the bonnet-release incident happened in March 2006. No time during the servicing was any question made on the condition of the bonnet compartment at all!

Aaron Brigatti
Brigatti Online -

Clio Bonnet-Catch Issues?
- Read the Correspondence Archive (Recently Updated!) @
- and the latest on my experiences @

Currently in brigatti's garage:
2009 Audi A4 1.4 TFSI
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome