Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #635 of (permalink) Old 7th April 2007
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Post Further letter to Renault UK and Renault HQ (France)

Firstly, lets start with a quote from Renault's 15th March 2007 statement --

If poor maintenance is detected, and the bonnet catch mechanism has suffered resulting damage, as a gesture of goodwill, Renault will replace the mechanism.
My letter to Renault:

"Your apparent failure to respond to my 2nd March letter signifies your reluctance to deal with this ‘safety’ issue, which impacts some 400,000+ vehicles on the UK roads.

I do not wish to comment on the whistleblower claims made by BBC Watchdog’s 28th March 2007 broadcast; I would like to draw you back to the clear facts of the incidents.

You have admitted poor maintenance impacts the performance of the main and safety catch mechanism. You also implied that poor maintenance could result in damage to the catch mechanism (which incorporates a safety catch mechanism).

By admitting that you are replacing parts in some cases (your 15th March statement), means that you were aware that in some cases the part is prone to failure, and requires replacing. If this failure happens within the 18,000 / 2 year maintenance window (the maintenance schedule of the Renault vehicles), this could cause a failure that results in a bonnet releasing itself.

Renault’s statement implies Renault had historic evidence prior to the reported cases, and more importantly, Renault could have prevented all of the 1000+ cases ever happening. Thus, your inaction in informing your dealerships of this apparent part-failure, confirms Renault are liable for all of the reported and subsequent cases.

A failure which requires the reliance on a safety catch that Renault is unable to categorically confirm will perform as it should in ALL cases, means Renault are not satisfied with the way the mechanism operates in daily usage. All of which confirms an apparent “safety defect” exists with the mechanism.

None reply confirms that you accept liability on all cases reported.

Lets see what I get in response!!!!

Ciao for now....hope you all have a great Easter weekend, and the Easter Bunny visits with lots of Choc Easter Eggs

Aaron Brigatti
Brigatti Online -

Clio Bonnet-Catch Issues?
- Read the Correspondence Archive (Recently Updated!) @
- and the latest on my experiences @

Currently in brigatti's garage:
2009 Audi A4 1.4 TFSI
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome