Independent Renault Forums banner

Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Electronics - Displaying KMH not MPH

54K views 73 replies 39 participants last post by  fizbomb 
#1 ·
I know this is normally a new panel needed, but does anyone know of a fix for this?

I really dont wana tell my customer a new panel is needed :confused:

#29 ·
I have the opposite problem. In Ireland we have changed over from miles to km and I am trying to get my trip computer to read km instead of miles, and gallons,etc. I have tried a few of the various button combinations to change the read out. I have tried disconnecting the battery - positive terminal first no effect, negative terminal first no effect.
Is it possible to change or are people just being unfortunate?

#30 ·
hi horatio, have never had any problem when ive changed a completely flat battery,
ive had alarms go haywire when a battery has been replaced and have had to strip sirens down and reinitialize them and that really is a basic system!
part of the reason is also to stop people from swoping the panels to give a lower milage,
but i do agree that yhe configurations should be able to be reset, which if I remember correctly on the new generation laguna (05 version) it can be,
renault have also added another protection unit to help stop any panel spiking called a upc.
europe and singapore do have similar problems to, they accept that for 3 years they have a warrenty and if they pay extra they can extend it and have peace of mind !after that anything can go wrong,
i had it with my sky+ it was 3 days out of warrenty when it started playing up now and then sky told me to unplug it and plug it back in it never worked again after that and had to buy a new unit! way it goes! electronics go pop for no reason!
turbos are a different arquement, if you Know anyone who works for mercs, porche, bmw, peugout, nissen etc they have the same concerns just like the megane coupe cabs leaking water inside other manufacturers have same concerns.
try this saying every dog (manufacturer) has its own set of fleas (problems)
cheers bigshow

#31 ·
Cheers for the reply, Bigshow. Maybe I've been getting the wrong end of the stick then. It's far from unknown :p

Sorry to hear about the Sky box, but in my experience, they're one of the few things that are ropier than Renault electronics. We have three Grundigs, all of which are as flakey as each other. Sky have been extremely devious in letting you own the box - once it's out of warranty, it's no longer their problem.

Power up/down is when most things are likely to go, but it should be a rare occurrence. It seems that disconnecting the battery on the Laguna carries an unacceptably high risk of damage - something which they appear to have acknowledged if they've since added extra protection.

#33 ·
Miles to Km

On taking my Laguna to a renault garage for a simple bonnet cable replacement they removed the battery and my display now says kms. I noticed this on collection of car and made the dealer aware. They advised that unable to fix and new unit display required at great expense. I have gone one step further and contacted my local Trading Standards and they have advised that the dealer is liable as they should have been aware and am in the process of getting the unit replace for free. Will update to advise outcome. ;)

#34 ·
I'm Not sure if anyone has read my story, but I have had a result. After alot of letter writting from meand trading standards, eventually when trading standards advised that the next course of action would be court, the dealer in his infinite wisdom then decides to back down and my display unit is going to be fixed free of charge. If you first don't suceed keep the pressure on they will back down when they know that the cost are going to spiral, when it goes to court. 1 nil to me.

#36 ·
mph to kilometers

Cheers,

I am new here. I have similar issue. I am from Czech republic and bought Laguna (2001). On my display is everything in gallons and mph which is not good for me in the middle of Europe... I bought the car from Renault dealer and he promised me that it is possible to change from miles to kilometers. He is waiting for information how to do it from Renault technical center in Prague. So I am looking for the answer from him......

#37 ·
Hiya Folks,

This is an interesting thread, which seems to have had one or two excellent ideas and suggestions, but then died,since the problem appears to be unsolvable :-(

I have just bought a Laguna on a 51 plate, with exactly this problem. In fact, as I write this, I am still to pick it up from the dealer! :) The day I bought this car, I also looked at another car, again with the same problem. It struck me as very odd that two out of the two cars for sale near me have the same faulty dash, so I have dug further still.

My local Renault dealer is fully aware of this issue, he was able to immediately interrupt my explanation with a sigh and a look to the heavens, and tell me that this is very common indeed and that it cannot be repaired without the expensive replacement fix described in this thread. Currently, the cost stands at £350 plus VAT, plus labour!

Being a somewhat lairy individual I have now taken this to Renault UK. The reply was interesting to say the least. The customer service lady took the issue away and spoke to their techies (or should that be mechies? ), who replied "I've seen loads of these and I'm sorry to say that there is no repair other than a new display panel. The error is caused when the battery is replaced while the Keycard is in the slot. This confuses the display"(ed. burns it out I guess he means?)"and causes it to revert to factory default setting with no prespect of reversal".

At face value this seems fair enough, I guess. You would never even consider replacing a battery with a normal key in the ignition turned to position II , and having the keycard in the slot is kind of the equivalent of this, I guess. I can see why Renault might not want to take responsibility for a fault which is caused by "user misuse" of the car.

But the trouble is, this issue can cause the same failure spike even when you wouldn't expect it. The car i didn't buy the other day is a prime example. Its display failed when he had to jump start the car - something you certainly cannot do without the keycard in the slot. I've not yet read the handbook, but does it specifically state that you must never try to jump start the Laguna? If not, then Renault might well be considered responsible for failing to alert their customers of the danger. In addition to this, the battery now becomes a VERY important service item. We all take great care to get out timing belts changed at the right intervals, and yet do we also take such care to get our batteries changed too? Or do we instead wait for a failure or a difficult startup before going and getting it checked? A failure to start, could well cause the spike which does £500 worth of damage, it would seem.

Sorry to have gone on a bit, but the bottom line is - I think Renault have a case to answer here. They know it goes wrong, they even know what causes it, yet they have not warned customers - or even dealers it seems - of the dangers. If this was linked to a safety issue, it would definately have been subject to a free recall, but since the display is a "comfort" issue, I guess they have decided they can get away with charging us for it.

Can we have a show of hands over this one, who has this fault and who doesn't. Is it more widespread than we realise? We can find out by phoning up the cars for sale and asking them. I might take a hunt through autotrader online and phone a few to find out. If we can post the replies here and if it shows that it is widespread, we could use that as leverage against Renault - having shown the part to be "generally faulty".

What do you guys think?

#38 ·
Also new to this forum and read this thread with interest, for obvious reasons. My Laguna 'broke down' (immobiliser cut in for some unknown reason) and the breakdown guy had the ingenious solution of disconnecting and re-connecting the battery! Guess what happened?

Back in July 2006, there were signs that Blade Rider might be making progress. Come on BR, did you get anywhere?

I really don't want to shell out £500+ for what would appear (on the surface anyway) to be a simple trip computer fix. Have there been any signs that Renault have developed a cost effective fix. When I spoke to them (and the dealer) last year, it was the same old story; "give us the money and we'll fix it".

The handbook does state that the trip computer would need re-configuring if the battery was disconnected. Didn't read anything about NOT jump starting tho'.

No wonder the resale values on Lagunas (all Renaults?) are so poor. :mad:

#42 ·
Just checked back on the invoice that I got from my Renault dealer when I had the car serviced in August 2007. They quoted me £840 to replace the Speedo Head Unit (which I assume is what is needed to fix this fault) !!!:mad: :mad:

Anybody else got a similar (or different) costing??

Is this a job that can be done by an independant auto engineering company, or are we tied into Renault?

#45 ·
display showing km

hi
I am new to this forum. My 52 laguna has suddenly started to show km. the battery has not been disconected it just happened when i started the car as normal (everything else is working fine on panel). I went to my dealer they said that they wanted £90 to look at it and if it could not be fixed £700 for new panel. what a complete con. I know an independent and they will look at it, hoping that it is a simple case of reprogramming otherwise this is a fault that renault should be responsible for.

#47 ·
Hi
Just bringing this thread up again as im trying to gather some information on fixing this problem with the laguna instrument clusters
could the people who have had this problem email me the car details ie

year
petrol or diesel
and if the instrument cluster has the computer on not
this will help me to solve the problem

there are different mcu's in the clusters as if the car has the computer or not, its a 908 in the model without the computer and a newer 9s12 in the models with the computer
if i can see which clusters are having the problem i can source a working mph cluster and read the data from that and program into the faulty cluster, and even replace the mcu if it turns out to be faulty

thanks

mike

#49 ·
#51 ·
For info

With the insturment panel in 'test mode', as described in the above although it may appear that the dials have gone haywire they are actually stepping through their calibrations settings i.e. the positions that the needles adopt should correspond to the markings on the various gauges - speedo, rev counter etc..

In my experience, a secondary symptom of this probelm whereby the odometer and on board computer displays in kilometres and litres is that both the fuel and temperature gauges lose their calibration settings. In my case the fuel gauge no longer reads 'empty' although the 'low fuel' warning continues to function normally.

I hope that this helps!

#52 ·
this issue sound very much like there is a flash memory chip that has failed!
they use similar on PC's to store the passords and security settings on laptops and SBD factory memory setting for DDR2 memory.

these chips are available to buy, but regarding what is fitted to a Renault Speedo assembly i do not know.
has anyone gotten thier hands on one or several and checked to see what is mounted on the PCB's at the back.
it is most likley they will have to damage the board or fittings to remove the board to get to the electonics...
and unless they have filled off the top of the chips it should be possible to work out what is on there.

All PCB's are repairable, its just a question of how much is it worth to repair, and at £500 a piece i think these boards are worth repairing.

#53 ·
Hi guys.I am from continent and i have the similar problem,but in mirror view.I've got a UK panel,from damaged right hand car,and want to change it to KM.Could smb ask me what was happens when you changes did?Accumulator off may be,or something else.Pls help,thx.:confused:

#55 ·
Possible to swap clusters?

Hi all

Just bought one showing KM, thinking that the dealer will be able to reset it. OUCH!

Someone mentioned Renault doesn't want you to swap clusters to avoid 'clocking' but I can't find anything that says whether you can or can't take a cluster from a damaged car and use it to replace a 'KM not Miles' one.

Anyone know whether you can do the swap successfully, or are the clusters coded to a particular car?

M44LCY

#58 ·
you will need to contact VOSA and have them inspect the vehicle (before the dash is replaced) they should be able to ammend the milage recorded on thier database from KM to Miles. (hopefully:confused:, as its a MOT inspection error )
once the speedo is replaced they will probably want to re-inspect the vehicle.

#57 ·
I've never disconnected the battery from my car yet I have this problem.

I was driving last Saturday morning when I glanced down and found that there was this enormous mileage reading. I then realised that it was in kilometres and not miles.

I will be gutted if I have to pay out that sort of money to fix something that Renault have known about for some time yet failed to fix.

Maybe we should all contact Watchdog the way BMW drivers did with their dodgy and cracked wheels

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.