Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio II - Loud ear hurting noise - *solved*

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 27th May 2014
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Clio II - Loud ear hurting noise - HELP please!

Originally Posted by dugdaledan View Post
Hi everyone,

My Clio is making some horrible high pitched groaning noises at specific speed, notably 38-40mph and at its loudest at 60mph. The high pitched sound goes away when im over or under these speeds. It does return though around 70mph but again once im at 75mph its gone.
Could it be a wheel bearing, would that make that much noise? and only at certain speeds?
Does it get worse or better i.e. change when you steer at speed, that is a classic sign of wheel bearing failure. I have known it to get louder at speed but not disappear although if it's resonating I suppose it could. Are you able to jack up the car and spin the wheel(s)?
Are you sure it's coming from the front? It could be a rear wheel bearing, I would check those by similarly jacking up and spinning wheels, you can usually tell because they spin 'roughly' you can hear it. Compare both sides.
Oh and I forgot to add, if there is noise there is almost certainly friction and if there is friction there is heat, so I wouldn't be doing 70mph, you don't know what is going to be damaged.
Currently in wozz's garage:
2000 Clio 1.4 8v sport

Last edited by wozz; 28th May 2014 at 12:12 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to wozz For This Useful Post:
lancs dave (13th July 2014)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome