Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio II - Loud ear hurting noise - *solved*

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 28th May 2014 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Clio II - Loud ear hurting noise - HELP please!

Originally Posted by hondo View Post
Can you recreate this noise, while the car is stationary just by revving the engine?
Hi, tried getting the clio to make the noise while stationary just by revving the engine and i couldn't get it to make the sounds, So it seems to only do it when moving.

Originally Posted by Renoir White View Post
As you are getting the noise still when you put the car into neutral at speed I think you may have a failed bearing in the differential unit, which of course would not affect the smooth gear selection of the gearbox.
So would this be repairable? or would it be a new gearbox? I dont really want to spend more than the car is worth on it. I've seen gearboxes on ebay for around 50 - 120 and I'm guessing they're not the easiest to change.

Are there parts of the gearbox that move even when you're in neutral or have the clutch down?

Originally Posted by wozz View Post
Does it get worse or better i.e. change when you steer at speed, that is a classic sign of wheel bearing failure. I have known it to get louder at speed but not disappear although if it's resonating I suppose it could. Are you able to jack up the car and spin the wheel(s)?
Are you sure it's coming from the front? It could be a rear wheel bearing, I would check those by similarly jacking up and spinning wheels, you can usually tell because they spin 'roughly' you can hear it. Compare both sides.
Oh and I forgot to add, if there is noise there is almost certainly friction and if there is friction there is heat, so I wouldn't be doing 70mph, you don't know what is going to be damaged.
I cant really tell if it affects he noise significantly when i steer. Its pretty much bang on 60mph when i get the noise. I'll try jacking up the car and will test the wheels. I imagine they should spin quite smoothly on the bearings? Can the bearings make such predictable noises at certain speeds and not at others?

Thanks for the help everyone. The plan is to take it to the garage at the end of the week but will be great to have an idea of what im dealing with. Really could do with keeping this clio going a good 6 more months till i can afford a newer car.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome