Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Newbie Clio owner with a few questions...

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10th April 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Newbie Clio owner with a few questions...

Evening all.

Just over a week ago I picked up a manual 5d 1999(T) 1.6 RXE (8v) for my missus. The milometer is reading just over 44000 miles.

The car appears to have been well looked after with a very extensive service history to 35000 miles maintained by the first owner, and whilst the last owner has only put another 9,000 miles on the clock, he doesn't appear to have done a much more than put air in the tyres and petrol in the tank!

I'm very pleased with the car but I've got a few questions, and whilst I've had a good look through previous posts, I can't seem to find any detailed answers.

Apologies for posting these all at once, and for the inevitable essay...!

1) It doesn't look like the timing belt has been swapped during the life of the car. There are zillions of receipts for plenty of other bits and bobs, but no timing belt work! Following advice that I've seen on this forum, I'm planning on getting a new timing belt fitted (by an independent garage) and was wondering *roughly* how much I could expect to pay?

2) I was planning on fitting a new oil filter and petrol filter as these are simple jobs I can do myself - they are within my (limited) ability. However I am a bit hesitant to go ahead now.... after I swapped the air filter and the spark plugs (which definitely needed replacing) the idle has suddenly become quite lumpy. The engine doesn't cut out, and there are no hot or cold starting problems, but it almost sounds like the car is missing occasionally. Idle revs climb to about 1000 rpm and then drop to about 500rpm before it recovers. I've checked the new plugs (all OK) and the new air filter so I'm a bit mystified. I'm wondering whether the car ECU needs to `relearn` after swapping the plugs and the air filter? I've only ever owned Fords, and I know that sometimes it is possible to disconnect the battery on a Ford, then reconnect and drive the car for about 10 miles so that the ECU can relearn the right mixture for the car....

3) I have fitted new batteries to both of the key remotes, but the remote central locking practically requires you to be within touching distance of the car to lock/unlock. Is this short-range normal, and if not is there anything I can do to sort this out?

Again, I'm sorry for posting this essay. Any advice to this Clio newbie will be very gratefully received!

Currently in cap3116's garage:
1999 Renault Clio 1.6RXE
  5 Lastest Threads by cap3116
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Renault Clio Mk1 - Bodywork - Fitting MkII Rear... Bodywork chris m 3 2509 22nd June 2007 11:32 AM
Renault Clio II - Fitting '01 rear lights to '99... Clio 5 11169 6th May 2007 09:26 PM
Renault Clio - Wheels and Tyres - Tyre pressures... Clio DJC013 3 7857 24th April 2007 07:48 PM
Renault Clio II - Electronics - Short range... Clio Truckbusuk 19 6442 16th April 2007 07:06 PM
Newbie Clio owner with a few questions... Clio chris m 6 2933 10th April 2007 09:41 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome