Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - replacement engine

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10th April 2007
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
As long as the 16v is effectively the same engine as the 8v (okay, twice the valves - but you know what I mean ), then I can't see any major issues with the swap (as long as you swap complete engines, rather than trying to convert one into the other). Positioning of sensors may differ, but that's all I can imagine.

I read quite a few car mags, and believe me, if they can get fwd Vauxhall engines to run rwd in Fords, and fit sierra sapphire cosworth engines & 4wd into a Ka, then this type of swap sounds fairly straightforward by comparison.

If your existing engine is in good shape, and you fancy a bit of extra top-end power - you could always try a shot of the old laughing gas .

Remember, 8v engines have more torque (and horsepower) than 16v engines in the lower rpm band - its only when you get above say 3,000 rpm then the multivalve has the edge - so its not really a case of 'free' power, there is a trade-off.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater

Last edited by VelSatisfied; 10th April 2007 at 11:24 PM. Reason: missed a point
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome