Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Buying a Renault Scenic Dynamique Tom Tom (dCi 110)

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 30th May 2014
Platinum member
Nominated 6 Times in 17 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 5
Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,014 Posts
Re: Buying a Renault Scenic Dynamique Tom Tom (dCi 110)

When I was originally buying my renault 1,5 dci in 2011,I checked other makes.
A vw sales rep told me not to get a diesel(I was looking at polo n golf,dpf),unless I was doing at least one 50 mile 25 mile each way run on an A road + as theyed had a lot of regen probs.
The mileage run wasnt a prob for me.
The renault as standard didnt give any dpf probs and hasnt since,tho now the fuel pump is gonna be replaced..Another story.
The car is in the garage and I have a loaner,a 2014 1.2 tce petrol.
This is supposedly to replace the 1.6 petrols,lower cc, lower emissions better mpg than 1.6(it has a turbo ), but same power n torque.
Its supposed to be optimised to give most of this power n torque at 3000 rpm and the reviews say its a gem.
Even tho it hasnt covered much of a mileage, it feels dead after the diesel even at moderate rpm.
diesel is much more relaxed to drive cos of the big torque .. I think the diesel your looking at is rated at 240nm..about 170 lb/ft? of torque at 2250 whereas 1.6 petrol might be like 110 lb/ft at 3500? something like that.
So diesel great for pottering around on school runs all the "grunt" you need.. ,low rpm better mpg.. etc etc.

The bad above is the dpf regen ,needs 2500+ minimum and for an extended period,like 5 min when the engine is warm..and(so Ive read),if the dpf burn cycle is interuppted it can make things worse,cos perhaps only half of the filter is cleaned ,but the sensors register there is now half the blockage weight there was before,trouble is its concentrated in the back half.. and so on.So another half completed burn and the rear part could be getting close to blockage.
Thats the theory approximately.
Your 1.5 dci compared to a 1.6 petrol will also come with a very hi pressure fuel pump and a turbo .. which may..or may not give probs but theyre extra to repair if they do.
Diesel in the UK is more expensive,I believe.
Its the opposite here.Even so I think diesels have better resale value than petrols in the UK.

Having said all the above I wouldnt swap my 3 year old 1.5 diesel diesel engine for a 1.2 tce or a 1.6 petrol(if the 1.6 performs around the same as a 1.2 tce)..

Currently in coup's garage:
RM III coupe 1.5dci FVT,Audi TT Mk1 ,a bike and too much rubbish.

Last edited by coup; 30th May 2014 at 03:40 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to coup For This Useful Post:
scenichastings (30th May 2014)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome