Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Let's Play Timing Belt Russian Roulette

View Single Post
post #23 of (permalink) Old 12th April 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 4
I'd have to agree with everyone else on this, it's just far too risky, I'm sure in the long run the wife & kids will understand, especially when you remind them of the potential saving of having a new engine compaired to replacement belt costs. Hire car it is then!!!
I would think it's especialy risky if your water pump is due to be replaced, I had a belt snap on me about 10k miles before it was due because of a failing water pump, the thing had siezed causing the belt to snap. Mind you it was only a 1.6i 8 valve Orion so was an easy fix, just replaced the head.
At the mo I'm driving a 1.8 4 pot Laguna II, the car is just comming up on 5 years old now but has 77k on the clock. I've had the car for 4 months now and think it's about time the cambelt was changed, so job for me for the weekend me thinks! Bought the car with 73K on it, so first question as always was has the cambelt been done? I asked the dealer who I bought it from, his reply was complette . I'm sure you wanna know what he said! Well he said it didn't need replacing are they are chain driven, what a tw@t!!!! So I've been putting it off but think it's about time to pull my finger out before it goes.
Currently in Mikey's garage:
1996 Mazda MX-3 V6, a 2002 1.2 8v Fiat Punto active (the Wife's!) and a 1998 Suzuki GN 125. Used to own a 2002 Laguna II Dynamique 1.8 16V (Now Sold yey!)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome