Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Grand Scenic brakes spongy

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 3rd June 2014 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Grand Scenic brakes spongy

I had a rear O/S caliper and Electric handbrake unit replaced about 2 years ago (siezed up) at a Renault dealer after which, I felt they had more travel and felt spongier than before. Of course, they dealer said (as all garages say it seems) they are the same as before. Got them to bleed them again which improved pedal firmness but not quite as good but just made do as they didn't seem interested and I had to be somewhere else.

Fast forward to Autumn 2013 and had to replace front discs and pads (front O/S disc warped causing vibration). Brake pedal travelled very low (dangerously) and were bled again which made pedal very firm - like a new car! However, after a week of careful driving, I went and gave the brakes a test with some hard braking. After this the pedal lost its firmness and became spongier.

I have now had the brakes bled 3 times (pressure bled twice at 30psi) with air each time and even the Renault Clip to clear a suspect stuck actuator on the front N/S wheel earlier in the year (2nd bleed).

Problem is the brakes are still spongy and pedal travel is around half-way down before they really work. Even then, there isn't much 'boost'. MOT coming up in a few weeks but finding it very hard to get a decent inde garage locally that can do this work so was thinking about my options of bleeding myself just to rule that out. Some have said the 2006 Grand Scenic suffers from Master Brake cylinder failure but also told that pads not freely moving cause this too.

Brake pedal firms up with engine off but travels about 2" before stopping movement. The rear brakes squeal at very low speeds too btw.

Would using a one-man kit either the pressure small handled version or one-way valve work with bleeding the brakes and as good as pressurized system (2 bar) and which is better for one-man bleeding? I am concerned that air may be getting in but after checking the Brake Master Cylinder (TRW) today for any leaks it appears bone-dry. The garage that did all the bleeding said no leaks either. I am a little hesitent with jacking the rear of the car too as doesn't appear to be a solid jacking / axle stand point. The regular jack point with recess at edge of sill may be damaged by the jack as I understand.

Could it be there is some air still in even though it was pressure-bled? Seems to me that heavy braking may be bringing air into the hydraulics but that is my feeling/experience.
Currently in geezerone's garage:
2006 Grand Scenic 'Oasis' 1.5dCi 106bhp
  5 Lastest Threads by geezerone
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Gear oil specification Transmissions geezerone 10 1947 20th June 2014 09:11 PM
Grand Scenic brakes spongy Brakes/Hubs geezerone 4 1737 3rd June 2014 09:33 PM
Vibration and road noise in pedals Steering and Suspension Sparky72 1 1211 25th November 2013 06:01 PM
Caliper bleeding question Wheels & tyres IT66 3 1548 25th September 2011 06:01 PM
Grand Scenic Wiper arm hitting bonnet Cars & motoring aks 5 3893 16th May 2011 05:06 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome