Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Deactivate seat belt warning alarm

View Single Post
post #33 of (permalink) Old 13th April 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
I missed this thread earlier on. That's not like me.

The warning is there because it earns points on the NCAP test, though it has to work a specific way (nag quietly, nag louder, then give up.) Similarly, they lose points if the passenger airbag warning (for rear-facing child seats) is on a label that could be peeled off if the owner wishes. Yes, NCAP really can be that petty. As Renault pride themselves on having so many five star rated cars, you wouldn't expect them to drop any chances of getting maximum points.

Yes, the alarm can be annoying. There are times when I've wanted to move my car on private land and the journey length and speeds just haven't warranted putting the belt on. But as soon as you hit that magical speed (7mph?) it starts nagging you to death. It's even more annoying when you're reversing, as it drowns out the already far too quiet parking sensor beep.

It's there because some people, even in this day and age, either forget or refuse to put on their seat belts. I know someone who still hardly ever uses a seatbelt. I can only assume that he's:
a) Convinced he'll never have a serious smash
b) Believes that the airbags will save him (though European airbags aren't like American ones - they're only designed to assist the seatbelts, not as a substitute for them.)
c) He's lost the will to live
d) He has what they used to call on the Darwin list (is that still running?) the "Seatbelts are for losers gene."

Still, even the beeper doesn't work on him. He just carries on driving until it shuts up.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome