Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Modus vs Nissan Note

View Single Post
post #19 of (permalink) Old 14th April 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
I know it s a bit late in the day, but figured this thread would benefit from a comment from a genuine bonafide Renault Modus owner. I've had my 1.5 dci 80bhp modus forjust over a year now. My previous car was an alfa 166 and this is my first renault so it was quite a change!!! I wanted something economical, cheerful and fun with character, oh and something to accomodate my long legs- I'm 6ft5- and I whittled it down to a modus or colt and decided on the modus. My experiences of the modus are as follows:

- Its an easy, light but not particularly involving driving experience
- The car has a fantastic charm and pep about it
- The engine can be a bit noisy on start up but then setttles and adds to the easy driving, laid back nature of the car
- With the sunroof and windows open it reminds me of a 2CV (which is a great thing)
- The seats are really comfortable, and the car is good on motorways
- The build quality is reasonable inside and out (admittedly not up to Nissan's standards but my car has soft touch plastics, never rattles and the shut lines are all even etc)
- Its reliable- other than a glovebox niggle its been fault free
- Could do with a better stereo- or maybe its a bit weedy- my old alfa had an amazing sound system and I miss it

I did look at the note when it came out, just out of curiousity but much prefer the modus for two big reasons. Firstly, the nissan has a much smaller windscreen- I love the big panoramic screen in the modus- with the sunroof its an incredibly bright and airy car. Secondly, the interior of the note is black and dull, whilst my modus has a rather nice beige dash with a black top and sandy seats which all feel a bit french chic, what with the casis/blackcurrant paint job.

So all in all, I really rate the modus- its got great charm and character, is airy and practical and is fantastic in the summer with the roof open. Not sure about the refreshed look they gave it last year which seems to mainly be about making the car look more serious and sophisticated with white lights and less bright interiors and paint jobs- I like the orange indicators on my car- they look like eyebrows!
Currently in MMModus's garage:
2005 Renault Modus 1.5dCi
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome