Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Grand Scenic brakes spongy

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10th June 2014 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Grand Scenic brakes spongy

Thanks everyone. When I turn off the engine the pedal firms up but still travels maybe 2 inches before it is very firm. Is this normal and what others are experiencing on their cars (only have the one car so can't compare)? I am thinking maybe a master cylinder but needs to be checked by another mechanic as not sure about the work done with previous one (bits missing that were there before such as bleed caps, fuse removal tool etc...)

Strange thing I noticed too is the electric handbrake engages when the engine is off after a drive but if I press the brake pedal firmly you can clearly hear the electric handbrake engaging further. I believe I am correct in thinking that after the second bleed (when pedal was really firm a few months ago) this problem went away so put it down to air?

The rear discs are quite worn but the garage took off the rust and said next brake pad change will need new discs. Hoping it won't be me with the car by then!

Tiddles - master cylinder is a TRW as I stripped some of the guff away - 96 Renault but suspect about 50 elsewhere for same part.

Ballibeg - getting some assist but the higher the speed the less I feel it if that makes sense - in other words it is requiring more of my effort and further pedal travel.

Hondo - yep similar problem - really want shot of the thing to be honest but need it MOT'd and brakes working obviously to sell/trade it in. Just tired of the problems - must have been a Friday afternoon model.

Where to jack the rear of the car up btw with small-headed 2T trolley jack and axle stands? Can support of subframe at front but rear doesn't have much and don't want to damage side of car at the emergency jack point (with welded rectangular slot).
Currently in geezerone's garage:
2006 Grand Scenic 'Oasis' 1.5dCi 106bhp
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome