Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Megane Scenic (97) - Intermittent delay when starting.

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 15th April 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Megane Scenic (97) - Intermittent delay when starting.

Apologies for starting two different threads, I just thought it would be easier / cleaner to keep them separate.

Apart from my window/sunroof problems, I'm also having a problem when starting the car.

(97, 1.9td)

On the first turn of the key, all I get from under the bonnet is a click, no turnover, nothing. If I hold it there, it eventually fires the starter and starts no problem.

(Sounds very similar to my old fiesta when the starter motor used to stick, and I'd have to get out and hit it with a hammer...ahhh the good old days).

Now it doesn't do it all the time. If anything, it does it less, when it's warm (although this isn't always the case). Sometimes I have to hold the key there for a few seconds, sometimes it starts straight away.

At first we thought it might be the batteries in the key, but I changed the batts in my wifes, and it still does it (on either key).

Any thoughts?

After reading on here I thought it might be the TDC sensor, but I believe that particular problem causes the engine to turn over but not fire? This does nothing, just a kind of 'energising' click from under the bonnet.
Currently in mbooth's garage:
Megane Scenic 1.9td
  5 Lastest Threads by mbooth
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Megane Scenic (97) - Intermittent delay when... Electronics mbooth 13 2195 15th April 2007 11:45 AM
Megane Scenic (97) - Passenger window and both... Electronics mbooth 8 2279 15th April 2007 11:40 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome