Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Interiors - Electric Window Problems - Regulator Repairs

View Single Post
post #152 of (permalink) Old 21st April 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Send a message via MSN to bluemore Send a message via Skype™ to bluemore
Getting Cable Under Tension

How did you manage to keep the new cable under tension whilst fitting the 2 parts of the assembly together?

Originally Posted by RichardF View Post
I thought others may be interested to know that it does appear to be possible to fix Laguna electric window mechanisms which have suffered a snapped cable.

After a bit of a struggle, I seem to have mine operating normally again. The good news is that the parts required total less than 5.oo and are easily found in Halfords and B&Q. I must also mention that I would not have attempted this without the pictures posted earlier in this thread, and without the hints on removing the door panels on this site and others so many thanks to all.

Following an idea mentioned earlier in the thread, the broken cable can be replaced with a bicycle brake cable, cut to size using the remains of the original cable as a guide. The outer sheath of the new brake cable is of no use and should be discarded.

The difficult part is how to terminate the ends of the cable securely enough to cope with the high stresses produced when the motor moves the window up or down.

This problem can be avoided at one end by leaving one of the metal nipples on the new brake cable in place. As these are generally of different sizes, it makes sense to leave the smaller of the two in place. In addition, to ensure that it fitted neatly into the sliding plastic window support (see pictures in earlier post in this thread) I used a small hacksaw to reduce the size of the nipple by about half.

Before moving on to termination of the cut end of the new brake cable, it should be threaded through the original outer sleeve.

I found that the metal inner barrel cut from a plastic 3A electrical connector strip can be used to terminate the other end of the bicycle cable. Though this provides 2 screws to grip the cable, a blob of superglue in each of the screw holes before tightening ensures it holds securely.

It is then a case of separating the plastic drive wheel from the motor while paying careful attention to how the cables are wound around. The wiring arrangement should then be exactly copied as the motor and drive wheel are carefully reassembled.

The original cables seem to have been under considerable tension, and I found bottle nose pliers useful for easing the two white plastic tension adjusters into place.

Finally, grease the entire mechanism thoroughly before refitting to the inside of the door.

Useful hints:
- It is simplest to ease window glass off support lugs with the window in 3/4 open position. The same applies to refitting.
- I found plastic wedges purchased as part of laminate floor laying kit ideal for supporting window in fully closed position when mechanism removed.
- Now that you are practised in removing door trim, I recommend greasing mechanisms of all windows as prevention is definitely better than cure.
Currently in bluemore's garage:
lag sport tourer
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome