Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio III - Rumble Noise - Warranty Claim on Brakes?

View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 30th June 2014
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Clio III - Rumble Noise - Warranty Claim on Brakes?

The calipers on Clios require TLC very often.
In fact it is a much needed DIY job that you must learn and as soon you hear the whinning noise once. Put your computer on MPG and reset, have a drive until the noise triggers again, you will realise that the mileage achieved is gone down and the amount of dust brake has increased dramatically on your wheels and the generated heat coming from the wheel.
Its as simple as removing the caliper pins, move back the piston unit, open your brake fluid cap so you can push the piston caliper in using the handle of a screw driver, otherwise the pressure of the fluid would prevent you from doing it.
Swab the dirt inside the holes where the pins screw after a good flush with WD40 or any penetrating oil , apply a very good quality tefal grease, that one that cost 10 pounds a tube of the red stuff from a good cycling shop. Put as much as you can, excess will come out when you push the pins in it's place, wipe the excess. Remember to place the rubber dust seal with the thicker line to the pin's housing (where you put the grease). Push the pins in and make sure the rubber also clips in to protect from dust.
Screw the pins back and replace the unit to the attached part of the caliper. (at this point you can change your pads (boy racers don't bother with the good ones: green, etc., and remember racing products on 1.2"s are not needed, far from frugal.))
Once you've done this you will never pay again for replacing brake pads, it's so easy.
And also a cheap repair for what "mechanics" replace wheel bearings, drive shafts, CV boots and even a gearbox I have been told.(Beware of the prices should say on some garages). An engine said on this thread. Hahaha
Jump on the car and reset your MPG, go the same route you did before and enjoy cheap motoring.
Our Clio 1.2 16v 2002 108k used first by wife, eldest daughter and now the little one has taken a battering but still going strong, today at 65/70 MPH it was returning 58MPG. Why would I change it? I have bicycles more complicated to fix. Cheap as chips.
Clio 2 or 3 are identical.
I hope it saves you all money. Regards
The Following User Says Thank You to Doncarlione For This Useful Post:
BCH (10th July 2015)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome