Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Keycard - happy ending

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 22nd April 2007 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Keycard - happy ending

The other half called me at work last Thursday saying that she couldn't open the Laguna. Luckily she was at home at the time and didn't need the car.

When I got home I discovered that the card would lock the car OK but the open button would not even light the LED on the card (tried flexing the card too).
This was actually a replacement card that failed and was replaced under warranty two years ago.

So I call our local dealer who gave me a price of £70 for the card and £40 for programming. Where's my Stanley knife I say.

Since I don't use the car much I plan on giving my card to the Mrs. Then I discover that my card also has a problem opening the car. But in this case flexing the card helps.

So I start with my wifes card. Get it open reasonably easily and discover that the switch is still in position and it works OK (checked with a meter).
Then checked the connection on the PCB between the switch and the IC - nothing. Then try the card and press the IC - it works. Reflow all the joints on the IC - first card fixed. Glued back together and first £130 saved

So, straight onto my keycard. Bit more difficult to open. Finally it gives. Then I discover it doesn't work at all any more . Must have damaged it opening the case I think. Then I notice that the solder connection for one of the battery terminals has broken loose. The design seems a bit poor here. Re-make the connection and it starts working again but sill won't open the car. Re-flow the joint on the switch and - another £130 saved.

All in all I have to say that it was worth the effort. Two cards fixed in about as many hours. It's anoying that in both cases (and I'm sure in most) that the faults are not with components but with the design / manufacture.

Thanks to all the advise given here I'm a happy bunny - I'll be using some of my savings to support this forum.

Currently in Eeeps's garage:
2011 Clio III dCi 88 Dynamique and 2016 CitroŽn Grand C4 Picasso Exclusive+ EAT6 2.0 BlueHDi
  5 Lastest Threads by Eeeps
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Down Stream Lambda Problem Engines Lagdti 1 1067 31st May 2011 09:09 PM
Laguna : Sat Nav too hot Electronics Eeeps 6 2039 1st June 2009 10:02 PM
Laguna 2.0 IDE - strange engine noise Engines madnoel10 3 2079 25th January 2009 06:29 PM
Door Lock Motor/Solenoid Failure Electronics Paul Dengel 5 6320 16th December 2008 09:25 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome