Independent Renault Forums banner

Laguna II Cabin Air Inlet

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Rex4 
#1 ·
I recently had some rain coming in the footwell. I think it was because the drain holes under the scuttle panel were blocked (mostly by the rubber covers Renault put in!).

However it only took a little build-up for the rain level to go over the cabin air inlet which is just an open hole! Is it meant to be like this, or am I missing a piece of plastic or something? Surely there should be more than about 1cm lip on that hole?

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks like the pollen filter hasn't been looked at in some time. I suggest you renew it making sure you insert it right way up. Cleaning doesn't work as the material of the filter has a static charge to attract fine dust and pollen.

The rubber flap type valves on the drain tubes are to deter vermin especially if you lived in an area where poisonous snakes or insects were about.

The area isn't called a scuttle for nothing. It's an old navy term for drainage whereby water should be able to escape faster than it can come in so not only do you have to check the inlet to the drain pipes but also the oulets which are behind the front wheel arch liners where the tend to gather crud.

#5 ·
I could have taken those same photos, ssashton! I also had a few drips landing on the front passenger footwell mat which I traced to the pollen filter housing (relieved to find it wasn't the heater matrix!), looked under the bonnet and felt sure there must be a deflector or shield of some kind missing from the whopping great hole for the inlet.

Maybe there should be such a thing, maybe there shouldn't, but I made a fairly rough shield up and fitted it over the hole, using some metal mesh that was lying around and some flat plastic slightly arched over it and held with cable ties. It hasn't really been wet enough since I did it to be sure if it will keep rainwater at bay but it will certainly keep out all the leaves and crud that I also had around the filter. There are enough gaps in my scruffy cover between the plastic and the mesh that there's still plenty of airflow getting taken in.

Regarding sunroof drain tubes as a possible factor, there's no sunroof on my car so that wasn't a cause here (but that's not to say it doesn't happen on cars that do have a sunroof).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.