The other half called me at work last Thursday saying that she couldn't open the Laguna. Luckily she was at home at the time and didn't need the car.
When I got home I discovered that the card would lock the car OK but the open button would not even light the LED on the card (tried flexing the card too).
This was actually a replacement card that failed and was replaced under warranty two years ago.
So I call our local dealer who gave me a price of £70 for the card and £40 for programming. Where's my Stanley knife I say.
Since I don't use the car much I plan on giving my card to the Mrs. Then I discover that my card also has a problem opening the car. But in this case flexing the card helps.
So I start with my wifes card. Get it open reasonably easily and discover that the switch is still in position and it works OK (checked with a meter).
Then checked the connection on the PCB between the switch and the IC - nothing. Then try the card and press the IC - it works. Reflow all the joints on the IC - first card fixed. Glued back together and first £130 saved
So, straight onto my keycard. Bit more difficult to open. Finally it gives. Then I discover it doesn't work at all any more
. Must have damaged it opening the case I think. Then I notice that the solder connection for one of the battery terminals has broken loose. The design seems a bit poor here. Re-make the connection and it starts working again but sill won't open the car. Re-flow the joint on the switch and - another £130 saved.
All in all I have to say that it was worth the effort. Two cards fixed in about as many hours. It's anoying that in both cases (and I'm sure in most) that the faults are not with components but with the design / manufacture.
Thanks to all the advise given here I'm a happy bunny
- I'll be using some of my savings to support this forum.