Upon deciding to install a temp sensor so that my digi clock in the centre of the dash displayed the outside temperature, I discoverd that fitting the following extras to my Laguna should be phenomenally easy
1) Upgrading the digi clock to display temp
2) Installing the temp sensor for digi clock
3) Installing Electric + Heated Mirrors
4) Possibly rear leccy windows also
I've never really attempted this before on any car (as my laguna is my first, 1996 RTSport 1.8 - for reference) so really anyone whos handy with just a screwdriver could do this.
Upon taking the door car off the passenger side door, I very happily discovered that renault had supplied me with the whole plug connector already wired in for the goodies listed above. it was literally just clipped to the frame of the door, not being used. Also, ALL wiring looms for the electric mirror controls and REAR electric windows are all sitting in the drivers door totally unused, which i think is very damn generous of renualt.
This easily saves painstaking work, do the following checks to confirm the wires are all there already:
1) Take the door card off off the passengers side, and check if there is a plug that has been clipped to the frame, if so then good.
2)On the drivers door, the panel that has the electric window switches, there is a single screw that holds this in place. Unscrew it, then lift the plastic up. Mine had ALL the wiring clipped to it for the electric window joystick, front elec windows AND REAR ones. If yours does, then excellent.
Ignoring installing rear electric windows - as I cant be bothered to and have no need, installation for the electric/heated mirrors is pretty much a piece of cake.
Now to install the following, go to a scrapyard and take a look at the lagunas.
**TAKE A DECENT SET OF TORX BITS WITH YOU**
Basically all that is needed is the entire wing mirror for both sides, (DONT worry if the colour coding on the scrappy mirror is wrong as the colour part pops out, so you can replace it with the one from your own laguna)
1 ) Pull off the black plastic cover (the mirror adjuster stick would be poking through this if it had manual mirrors)
2) Taking the door card off - torx screws are located all around the bottom edge of the door card. ALSO The black plastic handle which has the electric window switch in - there is a single screw down in side the handle part. Unscrew this or the door card wont come off.
3) If the front doors speakers are still in the door, remove the speakers, and throw them aside. Behind where the speakers were, there should be 3 more torx screws, unscrew these.
4) Lift the door card upwards and it should now come off.
5) Back to the mirror - there should be another black plastic cover in the corner of the window (which was underneath the bit where the manual mirror adjust would have been). Remove this, has 3 torx screws.
5) Unplug the electric connector from the mirror (this electric connector is the free connector that is hopefully hiding in our own underspec-ed lagunas
6) Unscrew the door mirror. it is held on by three 8mm socket nuts. Door mirror will just pull out. Do the same for the drivers side.
7) Make sure you rob the joystick from the drivers door, or you wont be able to use your electric mirrors
Now pay for your goods (pocketing as many small things as possible to keep costs down
Go home, and basically screw the new mirrors onto your car. (swapping the colour coded plastic bits also).
In order to swap the plastic bits, you need to take the actual glass of the mirror out. To do so, gently prise a screwdriver into the bottom left corner, and the mirror should pop out at the bottom, then you can pull it out. Swapping the plastic colour coded bit is very self explanatory, so use your head.
8) Install the leccy mirrror joystick into that plastic circle in the drivers side door handle.
AND hey presto, everything SHOULD work.