I have done a number of searches but no-one else seems to have a problem as bad as this. I have made a short video clip as well to demonstrate the faults (2.36 MB, 40sec, WMV)
It all started a few months ago with just a rear fog lamp symbol on the dash lighting up when applying the foot brake pedal. Since then it has got slowly worse and just recently the car seems to have gone crazy. It's a 2000 Megane Coupe 1.6 16v Automatic. Here are the problems:
- When pressing foot on the brake pedal the rear fog lamp symbol lights up but the actual rear fog lamp doesn't
- When the front wipers are on intermittent, the rear wiper -turns itself on for one sweep every time the brake pedal is pressed
- When indicating left or right the rear fog lamp symbol flashes on and off at the same time and stays on when the brake pedal is pressed
- When using the remote key fob to lock/unlock the car, all 3 brake lights flash instead of the indicators
- When the headlamps are switched on, the indicator is selected and the brake pedal is pressed the lights behind the dash/speedo/rev counter flicker on and off at random and sometimes the same rhythm as the indicators flashing
- When braking and indicating at the same time, the rear brake light dims on and off in time with the indicator
- When indicating, the opposite side on the rear indicator flashes or glows at random along with everything else
- The side repeaters in the wings acts as side lights and stay on and get brighter when the brake pedal is pressed
- The reverse lights do not work
- One rear number plate lamp bulb only works when the cover is removed and the bulb is pressed down in to the holder - sometimes they both work fine
The rear lamps and bulb holders have been removed and checked for anything that looks abnormal as has the brake light switch. The problems are so bad the car is not being driven at the moment and would most definitely be an MOT failure. All bulbs were working fine before this all happened and nothing electrical has changed or been replaced. I have also checked the wiring coming out of the car to the tailgate on the left hand side as you open the boot. It appears to be normal with no broken sections.
Mechanically, the car starts first time and runs perfectly (at 79,000 miles). Other normal items have been replaced in due course (crankshaft sensor, gearbox
, water pumps, timing belt kit etc.)
I have read a lot of people have rear light problems with the Megane, but what is the cause of it?
I hope someone has a suggestion otherwise it'll be off to an Auto Electrician with an open cheque book!