Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - LPG conversion

Thread: LPG conversion
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 25th April 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Send a message via Skype™ to twoscarecrows
Lightbulb LPG conversion

I had my car converted on 7th March to LPG. Some of you with big petrol engines (more likely to be Range Rovers etc) or do high milage might be interested to know of my experiences so far.

First of all; the irreconcillable problems.

Now that I have got that out of the way, I should mention major problems.

You might see a common theme here.

Slight niggles:

1. Loss of boot space. I have a 60l toroid tank (doughnut) in place of the spare wheel which has lifted the floor by 2".

2. The spare wheel now lives in the garage because if I get a flat at work, I will always be within 15 miles from home and my wife can bring it for me in her car. I cannot use Holts tyreweld as it will nacker the pressure sensors, so if I am on a long journey I will have to rely on breakdown assistance. Hopefully, the sensors should alert me to a problem before I start the long journey, or give me enough warning to get to a Kwik Fit en-route.

3. Errr ... that's all I can think of.

Neutral stuff:

1. The filler cap is in the bottom of the bumper almost out of sight, so it doesn't spoil the cars looks.

2. The switch for switching between the 2 fuels is in the spare switch plate and doen't look out of place.

3. The ECU for the LPG is on top of the battery, but it appears to be easily moved by unscrewing a couple of brackets.

When it was just a 3.5l petrol car, it's pace was not dependant on engine size, but more on my wage packet and my conscience. If I put my foot down, I would later self flagellate with a cat o'nine tails. Likewise, I had to self flagellate for all of the old ladies in their Rover 100's that would occassionally overtake me or beat me at the lights. Either way, I was losing.

Now that I only pay 40.9p/l I use the cat o'nine tails to whip the tailgate of all those cars that used to overtake me Price varies between 33p/l and 49p/l - those of you that live in Wolverhampton or Cardiff I envy you. I now regularly use the car to it's potential, and I have even discovered that it is more economical to actually get on with the journey than to mess around in 2nd gear (it's an auto) at 30mph.

If you can afford between between 1600 - 2500 for the conversion and you plan to keep your car long enough to see the advantage, I thoroughly recommend it.

A lot of convertors have fuel saving calculators in their web site - I plan to break even in less than 18 months. After that it is super cheap motoring. And don't worry about filling stations, their are plenty around.
Currently in twoscarecrows's garage:
2002 Vel Satis 3.5 Initiale
  5 Lastest Threads by twoscarecrows
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
LPG conversion Cars & motoring simon797 32 7120 25th April 2007 08:43 PM
Forgetful Vel Satis mirrors Electronics twoscarecrows 6 1483 28th February 2007 07:42 PM
New user likes this forum Cars & motoring 5 1249 25th February 2007 06:39 PM
First time Renault owner Welcome to RenaultForums twoscarecrows 3 698 11th February 2007 11:02 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome