Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - tinted windows

Thread: tinted windows
View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 26th April 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
I could have this wrong, but I'm sure that I recall reading that the police already had powers to stop you and hand out a fine just because they believed your windows to be too darkly tinted. Of course, I'm sure you could dispute the ticket if you were later able to prove that your tints were legal.

If it's now the responsiblity of the police to do the test and only issue a ticket if the tints fail, then surely that's generally a good thing for people with tinted windows. Well as long as they don't treat the tester like a new toy, and start targetting anyone who has anything other than standard tints.

I've been in two minds about tinting mine for a while. I'm sick of the summer sun blinding the little-un in the back, and even the factory fitted sunscreens on the Lag don't block out the whole window. What's more, I hate driving with the rear screens up, as I find that the OSR one creates a very nasty blind spot when changing lanes on the motorway. In fact, I came pretty close to side-swiping a Vectra the other day because the damned thing was up. I just didn't see him until the last minute, even though I'd checked over my shoulder as well as looking in my mirrors.

If they're getting touchy about tints, then maybe they should ban the blinds. The mesh nature of the blind means that, while they might be reasonably transparent when viewed at 90 degrees, they actually block most of the light when viewed at an angle (i.e. from the driver's seat.)

Though a part of me wonders what the big deal is about tinted back windows. If you're driving a car-derrived van, your rear windows transmit 0% of the light because they're made out of metal. Surely choosing to even totally black out the rear windows on a car makes it no less safe than a van.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome