Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - tinted windows

Thread: tinted windows
View Single Post
post #22 of (permalink) Old 27th April 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 4 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 5

I have received a response from the police regarding tinting of windows as follows;

Your enquiry regarding the tinting of vehicle windows has been passed to me to answer.

The following is what the law requires.

Any vehicle first registered before 1st April 1985 must allow 70% of the light through the front windscreen, the driver's window and front passenger window. Therefore you can have 30% tint.
Any vehicle registered after that date must allow 75% of the light through the above mentioned windows. A tint of 25%, as a rough rule of thumb most manufacturers now fit slightly tinted glass in these windows. If a manufacturer has fitted tinted glass it is normally at the maximum level of tint.

PC AK697 David Kirkcaldy,
RPU Training, Haywards Heath Police Station."

You may notice that there is no mention of the rear windows so I have asked for the named officer to once again clarify.

Edit: Have just received this regarding the rear windows;

"Rear and rear side windows are not at present covered, you can have them as dark as you like. It would be similar to driving a small goods vehicle with no windows in these fitted in these places."

So that clears up what law the ol' bill are using.

Currently in scatz's garage:
2004 Subaru Legacy GT Spec B, a 2013 2.0 TDCi Titanium X Sport S-Max and a 2001 Honda NSR125R

Last edited by scatz; 27th April 2007 at 11:40 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome