Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Useless garages

Thread: Useless garages
View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 27th April 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 2 Times in 3 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 3
Originally Posted by lagdti View Post
I do agree in part with you,Gonescenile,especially the part about time given to do a certain job.Main dealers are particularly bad at this,especially if the mechanic is being paid via a bonus scheme,i.e,the faster he works,the more he gets paid.This is inherently wrong to me,as I would rather take a reasonable amount of time to do something,have chance to make sure I got it right,and to hell with how long a manufacturer says a job should take!.We all c0ck-up sometimes,me just as much as anyone,but the way that dealers seem to be obsessed with times and workshop through put really can't be a good thing.

And I still can't see for the life of me how a dealer can charge 90 an hour,and only pay the bloke who's doing the job 10% of this......But hey,that is the way of life I suppose.There is a serious lack of young people coming into the trade,and many trained people are leaving,disillusioned by the motor trade in general.Something has to fundamentally change somewhere,otherwise there will be no mechanics/technicians/fitters(what ever you call them),but then I've heard this said so many times over the last 16 years that I suspect nothing will change.

There are people working in workshops across the country that I wouldn't trust to change a light bulb on my car,which is a sad comment.There will be good and bad in any trade,but the motor trade does tend to get the worse press,and in most cases,it is complete justified.

I sympathise with you Lags and understand how you feel, I do not know you apart from what I see on this Forum but if you are as helpful to your customers as you have been to members here you must be an asset to your employer and the " Trade " .

I have had many dealings with the Motor trade over the years when buying a car or in for Service/Repair and as you have said some I would not trust to change a bulb others are superb.

I have had 6 new cars in the last 7 years most of my experiences have being favourable sometimes pushing hard to get the quality of service I felt was my right others nothing was to much trouble some have been a battle from the time of sale till disposal of the vehicle.

Yes the Motor trade has advanced in many ways but in some ways they are still operating like they did many years ago, the wage levels have to increase with more indepth training to reward those who wish to remain in the trade.

The Motor industry and the Building industry have a terrible reputation with the general public and I must say it is deservedly so.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome