Independent Renault Forums banner

Renault Master Project - Brake compensator

9K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Dai Sharkey 
#1 ·
Well, after visiting my beast at the MOT station I was pleased to find that a bit of welding and a brake compensator is all she needed to pass another ticket.

I was roughly quoted £300 for the part so I legged it to my local Renault dealer who found a new part for £98. Bargain. I've seen a few on 'Flea-bay' but as the parts come from a vehicle like mine over a decade old me thinks- 'no thanks' a new one will do nicely.

I did a bit of research into both the history of my van (I've only owned it for 3 months) to find the vehicle has not had a brake compensator on it for many years and has passed every MOT for years without it.

So I'm asking anyone who knows out there: what great thing does the brake compensator do that the van has happily lived without for years? And what harm is it in not having one?? please....anyone??

The van is run as a domestic vehicle, has never carried much weight or towed anything big, so what does that part mean to my brakes? I'm worried that putting on the new part will mean further problems down the line - I'm thinking more pressure on the servo, brake lines etc.

I've also looked at newer models (2 of my mates have 03 and 05 plate ones) and neither of them have the compensator, I've personally never seen one before and wish to know more about the usefulness of the part.

Thanks all.

See less See more
#2 ·
I take it you are referring to the load compensator. If so it is to reduce the risk of the rear wheels locking up during braking and causing the vehicle to go out of control. It also helps to proprotion the brake pressure between th front and rear brakes increasing braking efficiency. If the vehicle had such a compensator when new then the MOT examiners should have known one should be fitted. If that is the case then it down to shoddy MOT testing.

Not all testing stations have the correct kit for such testing so many just ignore this aspect. Where I live the all testing station have a special hydraulic load application jack.

Such compensators were done away with on many vehicles when ABS was introduced.

#3 ·
Hey Madnoel10,
thanks for the detail. I took the vehicle to the same MOT station as the previous owner and when questioned about -' how come it hasn't been picked up before?' all he had to say is that 'the new guy done my MOT' :crazy:

I've read many problems to do with the compensator and understand that when the arm is removed from the unit (or degraded over the years and fell off) that the system runs as if the van is light. Is that the case? If so the only use for it would seem to add pressure when loaded??

#4 ·
Apart from regulating pressure when loaded it will also reduce pressure if the front of the van dips during sudden braking - making the rear end light. If the rear wheels locked during heavy braking the driver may end up seeing the rear of the van flash past his eyes:) In other words the van may go into an uncontrollable spin - especially if he had to brake whilst turning or on when cornering. I appreciate you may not load your vehicle heavily so all the more reason to have the regulator. Contrary to popular belief the regulator doesn't affect the overall pressure in the braking system - it just distributes it more efficiently.

At the end of the day it doen't say much for MOT testing. Over here in Northern Ireland if anyone buys a car from the UK mainland with a valid MOT certifcate they immediately have it retested in Northern Ireland were the MOT rules are more strict and there are no advisories - either it passes or fails.

#5 ·
Hey, thanks for the insight. I appreciate you imparting your knowledge, I've learnt loads.

I agree, safety is number 1 especially as I travel alot with my whole family in my vehicles. I'm going to speak to the owner of the MOT place tomorrow.

I've also found out, courtesy of an online renault manual that Master 3's replaced the compensator with ABS and an ECU program called EBD - electronic braking distribution (I think it's called) where the brake bias is electronically controlled. Who would have thought that this morning I'd never heard of a load compensator.:d

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.